How a US permanent resident's WIFE living overseas can get a SSN or a TAX ID?

How a US permanent resident's WIFE living overseas can get a SSN or a TAX ID?

Hi every body,I'-m a married US permanent resident. My wife is overseas. Every year when I file my tax return, the IRS treat me as a single !! AND it is the same case, when I try to get an auto insurance policy.IS there any way to get a SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER OR A TAX ID NUMBER for my wife ?Thank you in advance :)


No. She has no need and is not eligible.


If your wife is American why doesnt she have a SSN ?If she works and lives in another country you have to file as married filing single.I dont know what your wife has to do with your auto insurance if she lives abroad.


No you cannot ...she has to live in the US as a permanent resident to get a SSN ...


She might be eligible to have an ITIN:…



Popular Q&A

Does anyone know of Good coverage/ reasonable priced home owners insurance?
There's no "one size fits all" cheapest insurance company. One is best for old houses, one for rural houses, etc.There's no short cut - you'll have to shop around, to find the cheapest one for YOU.You can find a local, independent agent at

What is the best way to become an insurance adjuster?
I co-own an independent adjusting adjusting company in MN so I have no clue what the market is for upstate NY. However, overall many of the insurance companies we work with are concerned because the majority of their own adjusters are nearing retirement age and they don't have a lot of young...

What is an average auto insurance cost for a sedan in Alberta?
The only way you're going to get an accurate estimate will be to contact a local insurance agent for a quote.

What is the best degree for an Estimator/Inspector position?
Relevant degrees would be Risk Management or Actuarial Science.Here are a couple of useful sites I found detailing the career path for this profession:…and…Hope that helps a bit - good luck!Source(s):Research

Can I pay my car payment with a credit card?
You would have to contact them and ask them if they accept payments through credit cards. If they do then you need to ask them if there is a transaction fee for paying by credit card.I have it set up to where most of my monthly recurring bills (electric, phone, vehicle, insurance, etc.) are...