I need advice on becoming a insurance agent?

I need advice on becoming a insurance agent?

My dad is an insurance agent and I would like to become one to. How do I get a licence? Is there an age limit? Could I do it part time to start with? Do I need to study a book?


Look to your dad as your best resource. If he is an agent he'll be able to tell you more about being one than anyone else. He'll either be flattered that you want to emulate him or else will tell you you're completely out of your mind.Source(s):Independent Agent


as mentioned your Dad is your best source of info.1. Look up your States Dept of insurance and look for licensing division. They will have what you need in info to study for the tests. How, why , where and when.Get your booksstudyGo to prelicensing classTake your testsGet your licenseJust make sure you have a job when your done.P.S. I worked for my dad's agency for 10 years.Made the "ol man proud!Source(s):Agent 37 years


two weeks ago I register in the independent insurance agents school where I live in, to take a pre-licensing class in property and casualty insurance, that lasts one week, 7 hours a day, then take the pre-licensing test and get a certificate, then take the state test to get a license.Depending on what state you live at, check online to find some more information.


To sell auto and home insurance, you'll need to get a Property and Casualty License (AKA a P&C license). Companies in your area probably offer classes. You can check online. How it works is you go to the classes and then take a test. If you pass you get your license. I don't know if there is an age limit. My guess is that you have to be at least 18, maybe 21. To break into the business, you might start off as a "producer", meaning you work for an agent that already has an established business. Or you can get a job with an insurance company. Different companies have different programs and requirements.Source(s):I used to work for a large insurance company and I used to have my P&C license.


You have to get licensed, and find companies that will do business with you. Then find customers.An agents license is pretty easy to get - pass the test and background check. The best bet is to start working for an established company like State Farm or Allstate until you can afford your own agency.





Popular Q&A

What does it mean when I have the "like a good neighbor, State Farm is there" jingle stuck in my head?
it means you werent watching Justin Case from 1.800 SAFE-AUTO or The Gekko lizard from Geico Insurance or that black dude from Allstate......ARE YOU IN GOOD HANDS???

Why are the republicans calling the healthcare bill unconstitutional?
The concept of mandatory auto insurance is comparable to mandatory health insurance. Most of the people responded but did not understand the comparison which was the principle, not the law. Yes, auto insurance is required by states and yes, auto insurance is not required if you don't have a...

Website updates as a factor in a site's Google rankings?
Google is by far the most important search engine on the net. To rise to the top of their search engine, you need to improve your link popularity and you need to understand how they measure your link popularity (over 50% of all search engine traffic comes from Google, and if you can rise to...

What is the least expensive way to move out of state?
I would contact Budget truck rental, Penske Truck Rental, and U-Haul to get prices. All of them rent trucks one-way [dropping off in Orlando] with car carriers [auto transport] However you can only tow one car with the truck. So if you have more then one car someone will need to drive it down...

What auto insurance company or small company is cheap for drivers under 25 in arizona?
A good insurance company for one may be the worst for another. Your question cannot be answered. Simply do what we all have to do. call around for quotes and choose the best quote for YOU. There is no such thing as a "small" or "cheap" insurance company in Az or anywhere.