Will my insurance cover my car?

Will my insurance cover my car?

I let my boyfriend use my car to pick up his friend. They then decided to drink and drive and flip my car 5 times. He isn'-t on my insurance and doesnt have a license (which I didn'-t know at the time) and got a dui. I still owe 7000 on my car and I had full coverage but I have no idea if I'-m covered.


yeah, good luck with the insurance paying you for that. insurance doesn't usually pay off in the commission of a crime.


There's a darned good chance that you're not covered. If by some lucky chance you are, your insurance company is going to go after your boyfriend for reimbursement of every dime they pay out, because he caused the accident.Keep in mind, your "full coverage" won't pay the loan balance on the car, only what the car was actually WORTH, depreciated, private party sale value. Minus your deductible, of course.


The rules vary from state to state. Here in California, a permissive driver (assuming he was NOT a resident of the household and should have been rated on the policy) is covered no matter how stupid he got unless he was committing a felony - such as robbing a bank.Assuming the insurance pays out, they will give you the actual cash value of your car. If you have loan gap coverage, they will pay any additional amount owed above the value of the car. If you don't, you're stuck with the loan balance.The only way to know what rules apply to you and this situation is to call your agent.Source(s):CA ins agent


It's going to depend on the language in your policy.The good news: stupidity is not excluded by the standard auto policy.In General:If you have a policy with a main insurer (ex: Allstate, State Farm, Farm Bureau, USAA etc) then the collision coverage will cover your car. Even though the boyfriend was not listed and got a dui.If you have a policy with a company that specializes in high risk drivers (ex: The General, Permanent General, Safeco etc) then it's possible your collision coverage may not apply. Many policies written by these companies have language in them allow collision coverage only when a driver listed on the policy is using the car.Since we don't have a copy of your policy, we can't tell you if it will be covered or not. You will need to speak to your agent.


In California,If the driver of your car is specifically excluded from your policy, then your insurance will not cover the damage he caused to your vehicle.Source(s):http://dui-attorney-newport-beach.comhttp://dui-attorney-huntington-beach.com


He violated a policy condition by driving while intoxicated. You violated a policy condition by allowing someone to drive without a valid license (not knowing is not an excuse, it's your responsibility to know). The accident will not be covered. I suggest you find a new boyfriend.



Popular Q&A

When changing auto insurance companies, am I bound by law to show the new policy to the old insurance company?
If you were to have asked Farmer's to cancel as of a previous date -and had NO replacement coverage as of that requested cancel date, then Farmers would have been allowed to charge you up until the date you actually requested cancelation. If you had already paid the premium in advance, you'd...

What is the cheapest car insurance in Toronto, Canada for a female student w/out any prior auto insurance?
There are many factors that affect auto insurance rates, with the main facotr being the car. Here is a list provided by the Insurance Bureau of Canada, that lists all cars and how their risk factors compare to each other.http://www.ibc.ca/en/car_insurance/docum…In each category, 100 is the...

Auto Insurance kicked the entire family off the policy because a secondary driver is guilty of carelessdriving?
Insurance companies have underwriting rules and if those rules state they will not insure a driver with a Careless Driving conviction then that is their rules. Keep in mind a Careless Driving conviction is a SERIOUS conviction. Most insurers will not insure someone with a Careless driving conviction...

Will my auto insurance rate rise if someone on my policy gets in an accident?
Yes, they will likely rise. Most companies will not allow you to delete someone from your policy if they are still living with you, unless they have their OWN auto policy. A few will let you, but only if you "exclude" them from all coverage - pretty risky, as if they DO drive while excluded...

The Romney Plan gets rid of your Mortgage Interest Deduction, R U still a brainwashed Republican sheep?
Congress decides law, not the president, so you need to look at the big picture. Read below and if you like it, vote for Obama. If you don't like it and you still vote for him......who's really the one who's brainwashed?.•First President to preside over a cut to the credit-rating of the United...