Does owning a home increase car insurance rates?

Does owning a home increase car insurance rates?

A coworker once told me that once you'-re labeled as a homeowner, your car insurance rates go up b/c you can be sued for your house. Is there any truth to this? If it matters, I live in NY.


No I think it lowers your insurance all together. A package deal. That doesn't even make sence about being sued for your house..because if you were sued for your house (which could only happen if you didnt have insurance)-then that would mean that the auto insurance wouldn't have to pay themselves!


im not in Ny but im an agent and actually a homeowner gives you a 5percent discount.


No - the auto rates should go down if you insured your home with the same carrier. What your coworker meant was if your liability limits were to low on the auto the agent/company probably advised her to raise the liability limits on the auto insurance which would make the premium more. very smart thing to do if you own a home.Source(s):insurance agent 15+ yrs


Most insurance companies in the US who offer both auto and homeowners insurance will actually give you a discount for having both policies with them. If you are sued for something which happens in relation to your house, like a dog bit, etc., it would be covered by your homeowners liability, so this wouldn't make sense. If they're saying you could be sued for something in connection with your car, and receive your house in the settlement, there may be a small amount of Truth to the statement because of this. You may wish to raise your liability limits on your auto policy at that point. Say, God forbid, you were to cause a death in your vehicle and you were sued. If the other party were awarded 250,000 in damages, and your auto policy liability limits are 50,000, they could go after your home. So, you raise your liability limits to 250,000 to cover the possibility of this happening, thus raising your premiums. Of course the cost difference between the two is normally minimal to begin with. To read more about discounts that are generally available on homeowners insurance, you could read the following article:


Usually, it goes down, if you get it through the same company. In general it'll go down, especially, if you're young, because you'd be considered more responsible.


Just the opposite. If you have both your auto and homeowners insurance through the same carrier, you usually get a small discount on your auto coverage.



Popular Q&A

Can the auto insurance company pay me directly for my medical expenses or do they have to pay the doctor?
Your medical insurance provider will collect from the insurance company of the driver who caused your injuries. This process is called subrogation. It is standard practice throughout the US.You are not entitled to dual benefit from your injuries. Go ahead and consult an attorney -- he or...

Is it possible to have auto insurance in one province but need a health card in a different province?
To qualify for OHIP you must:* be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or among one of the newcomer to Canada groups who are eligible for OHIP as set out in Ontario’s Health Insurance Act - and* be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period- and* be physically present...

Help help ???????????????????????//?
I'm just a bit confused about the question since you live at home and you your paying rent. I'm guessing that you are saying that your future planned rent payments are $200? If your living at home I'd question why your parents are making you pay rent. If you are getting an aparment in the...

What would be the best/cheapest place to get moped insurance through?
You are going to have to do some digging on your own. Get the phone book yellow pages out and start calling.Compile a list of answers to questions you will be asked. How far you drive, how old you are, how long you have had your license. What is the license number.You need to have a sheet...

What are the steps to starting my own Auto Insurance business?
Yes, TDI, I'm assuming, is Texas Department of Insurance.So the first step is to get licensed - And the general lines, property casualty is exactly what you need. First you pass the competency test, then you pass the background check, and VOILA! You have a license. A broker's license is...